Congratulations! You’re Early Career Teacher! As a fully-fledged teacher, this is the year you find your feet and what better way to do it than on supply.
All the hard work has been done and now it’s time to head into the classroom. Don’t worry if you haven’t secured that full-time job yet, working as a supply teacher with Class Act Teaching Services will give you great opportunities.
You’ll experience a whole range of schools and depending on your preferences, a whole range of key stages.
Newly Qualified Teacher to Early Career Teacher
This year, Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) became Early Career Teacher (ECT). As the first year of ECTs in the classroom, you may find From NQT to ECT useful.
Supply teaching is a great way to get your “foot in the door” with schools. Being a supply teacher can often lead to being offered a role within a school as they arise.
“Schools have been very welcoming and friendly. Class Act are incredibly supportive of me”
Working as an ECT in the world of supply teaching
- Stay true – Always be yourself, you’re going to have enough work without trying to be someone you’re not. If you’re true to yourself, you’ll create great relationships with the other teachers and TAs in the school and you’ll show consistency to the children.
- Be a team player – As daunting as a school staff room can be, make sure you have your lunch in there. It’s a great way to get to know all the other teachers and support staff. You may also be asked to attend staff meetings, if you can go, it shows you’re willing.
- Get social – Social media is a great place to meet other ECTs but please don’t feel the need to compare notes. All teachers, schools and head teachers are different. It’s worth remembering that schools have been doing things certain ways for years, don’t try and change everything on your first day!
- Look after you – Don’t be surprised if you’re physically and mentally exhausted after being in the classroom for a few days. Remember to look after yourself – eat well, sleep when you’re tired (even if it’s 7.00pm!), socialise and go out to enjoy yourself when you can.
- Be organised – Make sure you have all your planning. As a Class Act teacher you have access to Hamilton Trust. Please contact the office for your login. Pop your handover notes and your timesheet in your bag. Double check you know where you are going and make sure you have your lunch!
Remember, be confident and have a great day!
If you haven’t already signed up with Class Act Teaching Services to become a supply teacher or teaching assistant, as an Early Career Teacher you can sign up with us today.